Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cows

I have a nephew, whom we will call Percy. Percy has a beautiful soul. He is a big, tall, lovable guy. He is also innocent, optimistic and completely uninhibited. He is someone that should be admired for his qualities. He also has some disabilities that cannot be diagnosed.

A few weeks ago, he went to EFY (Especially For Youth). It's this thing Mormon youth do sometimes that involves a lot of great lectures and a whole lot of fodder for teenage embarrassment. I've never gone, but I hear it's a blast.

This was the conversation that Percy had with his aunt after he got back from EFY:

Percy: Do you know what a cow is?

Aunt: Umm ...

Percy: A cow is a Crush of the Week.

Aunt: Oh, ok ...

Percy: I had 12 cows last week at EFY.

Aunt: Wow, Percy, that is great.

Percy: Yeah, I even gave a love note to one of them at the dance. We'll see where that goes.

Aunt: Well, she's a lucky girl then.

Percy: Eleven of them were girls and one of them is a guy.

Aunt: Oh! Ok.

Percy: He's the guy I see every morning when I look in the mirror!

Aunt: Ooooohhh, I see.

Percy: Because if you want to be confident, you have to love yourself.

Wiser words have never been spoken by a teenager. This story may or may not have propelled Percy into idol status for me.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Yes! You're back! YEEEESSSS! (insert best napoleon dynamite impression)

Very cool!