Monday, January 26, 2009

Football and Brain Damage

I have a friend. He is a great friend. He's one of those nice guys that would do anything for anyone. However, in high school, he played football, and I think he may have had one too many hits in the head. To be fair, I think he has recovered since then. But, there is a conversation we had back then that I will never forget.

Football Junkie: I think my vision is getting worse.
Me: Really? Why do you say that?
FJ: Well ... every once in a while when I tackle someone, I feel this pop in the back of my head and my vision gets blurry for a while. It comes back, but I think it gets a little worse each time.
Me: Um ... then you really need to stop playing football.
FJ: But football is so cool!

Yeah, that's right. According to this conversation, he would rather go blind than stop playing football.

Update: My friend doesn't play football, and he still has his vision, something I'm sure his wife is grateful for.

No comments: