Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I'm not as cool as I thought I was.

In the LDS church, women have this thing called Enrichment. It's a meeting they go to during the week to learn different skills (canning, quilting, making a lampshade out of Popsicle sticks and mosquito netting, etc.).

Not to be outdone, a guy in our local congregation came up with the ingenious idea of having the same kind of meeting for the men, but instead, we would learn how to shoot guns and eat tree bark. He dubbed it Menrichment. Get it? With an M?

Because there are a bunch of new couples moving into our area, we thought the next one should be more of a "Couple's Retreat" with a get-to-know-you activity. So, we got all set up to play the "Not-So-Newly-Wed Game." We thought this would be a fun, low-key way to get everyone together and have a little fun while embarrassing a few of the couples who have to answer questions like:

In one word, describe your first kiss.

(My wife and I agree on this one, by the way: Awkward.)

The fateful night came, and after waiting for 45 minutes, here is the list of attendees:

My daughter
The guy who planned it
The other guy who helped plan it
The other guy's wife
The other guy's 2-year-old boy
Me

Since the kids don't really count for the game or getting to know the other adults, we essentially had one genuine couple for our "Couple's Retreat" and two guys going stag.

Let's just say I've had to take a hard look at my perceived popularity. After a significant blow to my ego, I've realized that true stardom still eludes me.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Hey, look on the bright side. Your daughter got to play with a new friend, you got to eat watermelon (for days probably), and the Primary inherited some really great card stock and markers (thank you, by the way). :)

And, I always try to tell/convince myself of this when things don't go as I would have hoped...
At least you tried. That goes a long way and you never fail when you try.

JMadd said...

Sounds like most EQ sponsored activities to me. BTW - it's not called Enrichment anymore. It's just called a "Relief Society Meeting." You can't come up with anything catchy to rhyme or go along with that. Sad, isn't it?

Carrot Jello said...

Darn it.
I was ready to ride your coat tails.

Super Happy Girl said...

You mean an activity dubbed Menrichment didn't make everyone go crazy?!

Man, those people that didn't go sure feel silly now.

Shorty said...

I thought it sounded like a great idea! Maybe it was just a case of being over-booked. Don't give up! Try, try again!