Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I never thought I'd say this, but ...

I have now attended a baby shower.

And I almost got to host it too.

My wife was planning a baby shower for a girl in our neighborhood, and at the last minute got really sick. So, I packed up all her supplies and took them to the location. Then I made a feeble attempt to decorate the room to the specifications of my wife's internal vision.

Right before it started, my wife was feeling well enough that she wanted to attend. Needless to say, I was relieved. I don't know what goes on during baby showers, so I wasn't looking forward to trying to host it.

I'm just glad my wife had tasteful plans for activities. The only thing they did was chat, eat and make a couple custom story books for the baby.

I've heard rumors of some pretty interesting baby shower activities, and I can't imagine subjecting a bunch of women to guess what kind of candy bar has been melted to the inside of a diaper in the microwave.

Do people actually do this at baby showers? It makes me wonder what else I'm missing.

4 comments:

politicchic6 said...

Baby showers are AWEFUL! They are almost as horrible as bridal showers. I could tell stories... but you wouldn't believe them. I am not a scrapbooker, and one of the worst was where everyone had to come and make a scrapbook page for the baby book. It was painful.

JMadd said...

I hate baby showers almost as much as I hate that show Two and a Half Men. When I have a baby shower I'm planning it myself. There's just going to be a bunch of good food and maybe candy bars, but no guessing what kind they are melted into a diaper.

Carrot Jello said...

They do actually do that at baby showers.
The only thing we do at baby showers I host are eat, and open gifts.

Christie said...

That's very sweet you were willing to help out your wife. Sadly yes, the other comments are correct. I was just at one where they did a dirty ad lib game with what the mother-to-be said while opening presents. Good think our HR manger wasn't there. Or maybe she was.