Monday, May 24, 2010

Soap Operas for Boys

I had an epiphany last week about sports.

(Tangent)
I'm one of a few men out there who don't really care about sports. This means I probably need to give up a man card, but my wife loves it.

As a result, I feel like I'm the real winner in all this, despite the public ridicule.
(End Tangent)

As I listened to a couple male coworkers discuss some recent events in college football and how one of their favorite players may have left ...

... but then came back ...

... but then may not have been able to play for the team ...

... but then ended up starting ...

... I realized that sports are the male equivalent of soap operas.


Have you ever watched as a bunch of guys gather around the TV, anxious to find out whether or not the field goal will be good or the free throw will make it in? Have you notice their reaction when it doesn't?

Switch out the Super Bowl for "Days of Our Lives" and a 6th inning for a cat fight between some girl and her evil twin, and B-I-N-G-O.

Granted, soap operas have a little more melodrama, but after watching some guy nearly throw his chair through his window when he thinks the ref made a bad call, I'm starting to wonder if college football may actually have a leg up on daytime TV.

3 comments:

trublubyu said...

i think you're on to something here...

and from a wife whose husband appreciates sports, but whose life is not ruled by them- let me just say it is wonderful to have a husband who doesn't actively participate in the sports soaps drama.

Carrot Jello said...

You're not alone.
My brothers aren't into sports, and neither was my dad.
My husband is, unfortunately.
I couldn't care less about sports.

politicchic6 said...

On my list of things about my husband that makes him not only tolerable but also amazing... He things sports are LAME! He plays Ultimate Frisbee on a league and talks about the 'spirit of the game' but all other sports are a waste of time to him. He really is THE greatest. Being an only girl in a very sport loving family, it is refreshing not to hear stats at dinner or even know which season it is, or who is playing what position.