Monday, October 19, 2009

Getting Lost in Music

I'm a sucker for good music. Most of the time, I just like stuff I can enjoy while I tap my foot.

(Tangent)
I draw the line at foot tapping, because if I actually tried to dance and anyone saw me, the shame of knowing that image is burned forever into their brain would force me to relocate to the moon.
(End Tangent)

Despite my toe tapping tendencies, I'm always on the lookout for the good stuff. You know the songs that pull you out of reality for a minute and give you a glimpse of something better?

I have a small hoard of CDs with these kind of songs on them. One that continues to affect me, even when I'm not listening to it is Jesu, the Very Thought is Sweet sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

I still remember the first time I heard it. I was glued to my seat. I couldn't move and just sat there until it was over.

I found a recording of it on YouTube (although, the full song is another minute or so longer). The arrangement is amazing (Mack Wilberg, you outdid yourself), but the kicker is when the women break into their descant at 3:53.

1 comment:

krystal said...

That is a beautiful song. Mack Wilberg is a genius. He's great with arranging slower, beautiful songs. This song just makes you feel peaceful.