Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Dad and the Birthday Present

Some of you may have read this story on Laughing at Life's Little Wedgies.

Well, I have another one.

If there is one word to describe my dad, it's: focused.

He has the remarkable talent to pursue his goal to the exclusion of everything else. Unfortunately, this also means he probably still doesn't know what color the carpet is in his house (and sometimes I wonder if he realizes he has nine children).

One year, my mom decided to get him a special present for his birthday. He has always loved the picture of George Washington praying at Valley Forge by Arnold Friberg.



So, she bought him a huge framed print (arguably as big as I am). On his birthday, she hung it above the fireplace in his office with a big, metallic "Happy Birthday" banner across it. It was the perfect place for the picture because it would be right in front of him as soon as he opened the door.

However, her giddy excitement slowly ebbed as days went by without any comment from my dad. Finally, she pulled him aside and asked, "So, how do you like your birthday present?"

His response?

"What birthday present?"

After finding out it was in his office already, he bounded down the stairs.

Seconds ticked by.

Then minutes.

Finally, my dad trudged back up the stairs and said, "What birthday present?!"

It turns out, he spent all that time rifling through his desk, looking for the gift my mom had "hidden" in his office.

No comments: