Thursday, October 1, 2009

Office Outtakes

For those of you who missed the predecessor to Office Outtakes (Cult Chronicles) go here, here, here, here, here, here and here.

These stories are about a specific coworker I used to have. She was a sweet girl, but she ... (how do I put this?) ... didn't have a verbal filter. For other Office Outtakes, go here.

Here's another one:

During one of our team meetings, our manager shared some great news. We hired two new people that would start the following Monday. Our manager said their names were Kelly and Michael (Names changed to protect the innocent ... but they are similar to the real thing).

This coworker, we'll call her Bubbles, immediately jumped in with a question:

Bubbles: Now ... is Michael a boy or a girl?

Manager: (Wondering why Bubbles picked "Michael" as the gender ambiguous name) Um ... a boy.

Bubbles: Well, I just wasn't sure if Michael used to be a boy and is now a girl, or what the situation was.

Now, I don't know any transgendered people, but I'm betting that if one was named Michael, he (or I guess it would be "she" now, right?) would probably switch that name out to avoid confusion.

I'm also pretty sure Utah isn't known for its budding transgender subculture. As a result, odds are higher that Michael is just one of the millions of guys on the planet with that namesake.

2 comments:

Shorty said...

Holy cow, did this gal have gender issues, or what??? I wonder why...

trublubyu said...

my vote is that your conference call post be included in this series. because i think it's kind of an office outtake.