Sunday, November 2, 2008

Daylight Savings

Does anyone still benefit from daylight savings? I've heard all kinds of rumors about farmers and general energy consumption savings, but I can't find any concrete findings. Of course ... I also haven't looked.

Do you ever get excited thinking about the extra hour of sleep you'll get and how much energy you'll have the next day?

Do you ever actually go to bed early enough to benefit from that extra hour?

I never do.

But I have plans for making it up. I'm not a huge New Year's Eve kind of person. I always end up falling asleep, and I've never been a fan of that song everyone sings at midnight. As a result, I plan on pulling one over on my kids when they're old enough to want to stay up but not old enough to do it without making my life miserable the next day.

My sister does this and it's brilliant. On New Year's Eve, she goes around and sets all the clocks forward a couple hours. Then we count down until midnight and all go to bed at 10:30 p.m. It's fantastic, and they never caught on.

Maybe I'm a horrible dad, but I like sleep.

No comments: