Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy Kwanzaa!

My freshman year of college, I had a friend. I know, shocking. I had A friend. She knew a kid in her hometown who would always say the name "Nathan" as "Nay Nay." She decided I should have the same name, but she wanted to add a little flavor to it and call me "Sha Nay Nay."

I thought this was fitting because this name conjured up images of a "sturdy" black woman in my mind. Since I was a scrawny white guy, I appreciated the irony.

For a while after that, every time I would see her, she would yell, "Sha NAY NAY!" and do a few of those finger snaps with attitude.

In December that year, I found the door to my dorm plastered with Happy Kwanzaa posters. So, I thought I would access my non-existent black heritage and wish everyone Happy Kwanzaa! If you'd like to find out more, click here.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

hahahaha. SHA-NAY-NAY! So glad you had one friend your freshman year... Hope you are celebrating Kwanzaa properly!