Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Walking Dead

A couple days ago, I woke up at 3:30 a.m. to hear an intermittent beep from one of our smoke detectors. I stumbled out of bed and grabbed the last of our 9V batteries, hoping I could fix it before the noise woke my wife and/or my daughter. To make sure I was replacing the right one, I stood under the detector in the hallway, waiting for it to beep. I think the detector knew what time it was and wanted to mess with me. It was a full 5 minutes before it beeped again.

I ripped the thing out of the ceiling and replaced the battery, crossing my fingers my brain hadn't woken up enough to keep me from going back to bed. I got it back up in the ceiling and fell back into bed with a sigh. No sooner had my head hit the pillow than another smoke detector started beeping. We didn't have any more batteries, so I tried in vain to tune it out. That lasted about 2 seconds, and my brain started going through my day, thinking of all the things I needed to get done.

Bottom line: I was in the shower by 4:30 a.m. and felt like the walking dead all day.

I felt a bit like this (brace yourself for one swear word):

2 comments:

Marisa said...

That was great! I love when you put clips up. Thanks for the laugh!

Meredith said...

Hilarious!! I, too, love it when you add clips. They are always perfectly matched with what you have just shared.