Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I'm a dud on New Year's Eve.

New Year's Eve was never a huge holiday for my family. We just hung out and watched a movie or played games to pass the time, counted down and went to bed. As siblings left the house, it was eventually just my mom and me staying up (with my dad curled up in bed starting at 8 p.m.). We usually wouldn't make it to midnight, and would groggily stumble to bed when we woke up around 1 a.m.

(Tangent)
My sister does the COOLEST thing for New Year's Eve, and I plan on doing it every year, as long as my kids want to stay up late. She covertly goes around and sets all the clocks forward a few hours (when it's early enough that no one will notice). Then, they all have a fake countdown at 9 or 10 p.m. and send the kids to bed. It's a win-win. The kids think they've stayed up late and celebrated, and the adults still get enough sleep that they aren't the walking dead the next day.
(End Tangent)

However, things could have gotten dicey when I got married. So many people have fun traditions, all of which involve lots of activity and no sleep, on New Year's Eve. Can I tell you how excited I was to find out that my wife grew up the exact same way I did? We may be party poopers, but we are well-rested party poopers.

No comments: